Note: The older content written as part of this blog was relevant at the time but may have since changed. Please don't hesitate to contact me for clarification.

Thursday, February 12, 2009

SELF-CENSORSHIP AT THE NATION

Almost five days after it first appeared The Nation website carried the 'Troubled Thailand' story from Forbes Asia magazine. But it's not the entire story.
The Nation appears to have edited parts of the original story although makes absolutely no mention of it. Sections that have not been reproduced, unsurprisingly, include references to December's airport blockade, the military and the Thai royal family.
Forbes Asia isn't the subject of any ban or non-distribution, so why does The Nation feel the need to conduct its own censoring of this story? It's certainly more than just a sub-editing issue.

2 comments:

Ladprao Roader 8:45 AM  

Do you know the Nation has a Thai nickname which is the Na-Chua?
Anything that is not supporting their own cause or propaganda, they omit.

(c) 2016 Written by Andrew Batt 8:55 AM  

Khun Saraburian. Thanks, as always, for your insight. I wasn't aware of the nickname but I certainly am now.

I just cannot see how the editors can justify producing only part of the original article. I'm sure Forbes Asia will not be too happy either.

Ask Me Anything ..

.. about the media and publishing industry in Thailand, and I will do my best to assist you. You can email your question to bkkandy AT myway.com.

Add me on Facebook

(c) The Bangkok Bugle 2006 - 2015. Email me at bkkandy AT myway.com for information.