Note: The older content written as part of this blog was relevant at the time but may have since changed. Please don't hesitate to contact me for clarification.

Monday, July 20, 2009

NEW MAGAZINE: PLAY

In the past few months I've reported an average of three or four news magazines appearing on the shelves of bookshops in Thailand each month. There are no official figures but I suspect new launches are outweighing closures by at least two to one.
The latest magazine to appear is Play, and what makes this title unusual is it's the only title to appear this year that is licensed from overseas. All the other launches have been home grown magazines. (And all have been Thai; I have yet to see an English language launch this year).
Play is a Thai language edition of the American magazine of the same name published by Fusion Publishing Inc. In Thailand Play is published by the Future Gamer Company, an established publisher of computer and technology magazines and books.
Play is priced at 95 baht and runs to 90 pages. Advertising, as you might expect from a new, niche title, is minimal at just four pages.

2 comments:

Jon Fernquest 11:47 AM  

There seem to be several new magazines targeted at people planning or at least dreaming of starting small businesses during the recession:

1. Open Shop: เปิดร้านรวยเป็นล้าน
2. SMEs ชีชองรวย

There often seems to be more advertising than articles in these magazines.

(c) 2016 Written by Andrew Batt 11:55 AM  

Jon,

I've not seen those two but I do have two more July launches to blog about this week - one is a real peach !

I'll keep a look out for them.

Your advertising observations are interesting as I've observed the exact opposite; new magazines are generally appearing with little or no advertising for the first few issues.

Ask Me Anything ..

.. about the media and publishing industry in Thailand, and I will do my best to assist you. You can email your question to bkkandy AT myway.com.

Add me on Facebook

(c) The Bangkok Bugle 2006 - 2015. Email me at bkkandy AT myway.com for information.