Note: The older content written as part of this blog was relevant at the time but may have since changed. Please don't hesitate to contact me for clarification.

Friday, March 09, 2007

MONKS AND BUDDHISM

Monks in Thailand are the most respected people; even members of the Royal family will bow and kneel in front of a Buddhist monk. Something like 96 per cent of the population follows this religion and, as you would expect, it enters every part of society and daily life.
In front of our office building is a spirit house - a small model building set on a pillar - and many workers will wai as they enter. Some will even bring food and leave it for the spirits that live within the house.
The picture, the last in my series from Chatuchak, shows that even monks know how to spot a bargain.

0 comments:

Ask Me Anything ..

.. about the media and publishing industry in Thailand, and I will do my best to assist you. You can email your question to bkkandy AT myway.com.

Add me on Facebook

(c) The Bangkok Bugle 2006 - 2015. Email me at bkkandy AT myway.com for information.