Note: The older content written as part of this blog was relevant at the time but may have since changed. Please don't hesitate to contact me for clarification.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

BOMBINGS

I ventured out yesterday (Tuesday) for the first time since the explosions on New Years Eve and early New Years Day. I went to one of the big shopping malls - not very far from one where a device exploded.
I had seen reports of 6,000 check points across the city, yet in the 15 mile taxi trip I didn't see any Police or army on the streets. There was however a token security bag check at the entrance to the shopping centre, and all the litter bins (where some of the devices had been left) had been removed.
The Foreign Office advice to Britions here is now to exercise caution, which I guess you do anyway wherever in the world you are. Up until yesterday morning it was 'avoid all unnecesary travel within Bangkok'. Does that include unnecessary trips to the bathroom in my condo?
The shopping centre was quiet given yesterday was a public holiday, but a lot of Bangkokians were also out of town for the long weekend so that could easily explain that aspect.
I'll talk more about who might be behind what happened, and also the effects the will have, in further blogs in the next few days.

0 comments:

Ask Me Anything ..

.. about the media and publishing industry in Thailand, and I will do my best to assist you. You can email your question to bkkandy AT myway.com.

Add me on Facebook

(c) The Bangkok Bugle 2006 - 2015. Email me at bkkandy AT myway.com for information.