Note: The older content written as part of this blog was relevant at the time but may have since changed. Please don't hesitate to contact me for clarification.

Sunday, February 06, 2011

BANGKOK'S BEST MAGAZINE SHOPS

It's not Asia Books, Kinokuniya, Bookazine or B2S. For the sheer variety and unpredictability of English and foreign titles the best place to shop for magazine is Chatuckak Weekend Market. Where else can you pick up a copy of Hana Hou!, the Hawaiian Airlines in flight magazine, alongside the Indian licensed edition of Autocar magazine? 
These magazine make their way from inbound airlines to several vendors located not too far from the Chatuckak Park MRT station end of the sprawling weekend market. For anyone remotely into magazines these vendors provide a snapshot of the world's magazine publishing industry.
You can pick up current copies of the weekly global titles such as Time, Fortune and Newsweek for as little as 20 baht - well under a sixth of their retail cover price. The fun part is never knowing what magazine will be on sale. 
In the past few weeks I've purchased a central London property magazine, a south Wales lifestyle magazine, and today I got an Indonesian business magazine as well as the Malaysia English language edition of FHM. None of these are available anywhere else in Bangkok.

2 comments:

Bangkok Sightseeing 12:20 AM  

Interesting - I do have a faible for inflight magazines, so I will definitely check it out. You now have a contester ;-)

(c) 2016 Written by Andrew Batt 8:03 AM  

You'd probably have found three or four at least yesterday. I got the one from Hawaii because it's unusual - and rare to see so far from 'home'.

Ask Me Anything ..

.. about the media and publishing industry in Thailand, and I will do my best to assist you. You can email your question to bkkandy AT myway.com.

Add me on Facebook

(c) The Bangkok Bugle 2006 - 2015. Email me at bkkandy AT myway.com for information.