Note: The older content written as part of this blog was relevant at the time but may have since changed. Please don't hesitate to contact me for clarification.

Saturday, February 05, 2011

WHERE DID IT GO?

Not so long ago Where Magazine held the title as the kingdom's oldest tourist publication, having been formed as long ago as 1967. The magazine, the September 2005 edition pictured (right), was published by Media Transasia. I'm not sure when it finally disappeared.
Where was a decent magazine. Aimed at tourists and priced at 70 baht, it was a A4-sized monthly guide to everything happening in Thailand. Perhaps the closest thing we have today is Bangkok 101 magazine.
At a guess I'd say Where disappeared because of lack of advertising revenues. It was competing for budgets in a tough environment where undercutting was the name of the game.
I think there's a place for a Where-style magazine in the market now, but I wonder who will be brave enough to give it a ago?

0 comments:

Ask Me Anything ..

.. about the media and publishing industry in Thailand, and I will do my best to assist you. You can email your question to bkkandy AT myway.com.

Add me on Facebook

(c) The Bangkok Bugle 2006 - 2015. Email me at bkkandy AT myway.com for information.