Note: The older content written as part of this blog was relevant at the time but may have since changed. Please don't hesitate to contact me for clarification.

Monday, July 11, 2011

THE "PRICE" OF MEDIA COVERAGE

The Thai Journalists Association, as reported by the Bangkok Post, has launched an investigation into claims that two reporters took money in exchange for publishing photographs of Yinkluck Shinawatra. (Would reporters really have the power to influence photo coverage?)
This reminds me of my personal experience several years ago where I was quoted a "price" for some PR news being mentioned in print by one of Thailand's leading columnists. 
My understanding is that this is fairly common in Thailand, although I've never paid or been paid for any coverage. Journalists attending press conferences here are routinely fed and watered, and sometimes get a thumb-drive or notebook as a 'gift' from the hosting company. That's no different to anywhere else I've worked.

0 comments:

Ask Me Anything ..

.. about the media and publishing industry in Thailand, and I will do my best to assist you. You can email your question to bkkandy AT myway.com.

Add me on Facebook

(c) The Bangkok Bugle 2006 - 2015. Email me at bkkandy AT myway.com for information.