Note: The older content written as part of this blog was relevant at the time but may have since changed. Please don't hesitate to contact me for clarification.

Thursday, January 14, 2016

GOOD NEWS FOR MEDIA FREEDOM?

Writers of Thailand revised constitution have dropped plans, widely reported and criticised yesterday, that would have given the government further powers to censor the media during political crises.
This decision undoubtedly follows widespread criticism of all corners of Thailand's media industry yesterday.
The Bangkok Post reported that Constitution Drafting Committee (CDC) spokesman Chartchai Na Chiang Mai told reporters that the panel backed off from its intention to add language to the new charter that would allow authorities to block media reports during "unusual situations", such as during the mass street protests that led to 2014's military coup. I have not seen a version of the proposed charter but I assume it would include all media in all forms within Thailand - including overseas media that reports happenings here?
Earlier this week The National Press Council of Thailand (NPCT) had criticised the CDC for its proposal. Chavarong Limpattamapanee, chairman of the NPCT, said the CDC headed by Meechai Ruchupan had gone too far and its plan would affect freedom of the press.
I have to add that in my ten years of reporting in Thailand I have never once been involved in any "unusual situation" and have reported things as I see them. That said, there is certainly a serious amount of self-censorship that happens.
It's all part of media life in Thailand.

0 comments:

Ask Me Anything ..

.. about the media and publishing industry in Thailand, and I will do my best to assist you. You can email your question to bkkandy AT myway.com.

Add me on Facebook

(c) The Bangkok Bugle 2006 - 2015. Email me at bkkandy AT myway.com for information.