Note: The older content written as part of this blog was relevant at the time but may have since changed. Please don't hesitate to contact me for clarification.

Sunday, March 04, 2007

MACHA BUCHA DAY

This weekend marks Macha Bucha Day in Thailand, the third-most important day in the Buddhist calendar. It marks the day when 1,250 of Lord Buddha's disciples gathered to hear a sermon.
It's customary to make merit by giving food to monks, and by walking three times around a temple. That's what Tanya and I did yesterday evening. Tanya's mum had spend most of the day at the temple so we went to collect her and make merit once the heat of the day had gone.
As you can see there were hundreds of people, all walking three times around the temple holding a lotus and incense sticks. Tomorrow (Monday) is a public holiday here as a substitution day because Macha Bucha Day fell on the weekend.

0 comments:

Ask Me Anything ..

.. about the media and publishing industry in Thailand, and I will do my best to assist you. You can email your question to bkkandy AT myway.com.

Add me on Facebook

(c) The Bangkok Bugle 2006 - 2015. Email me at bkkandy AT myway.com for information.