Note: The older content written as part of this blog was relevant at the time but may have since changed. Please don't hesitate to contact me for clarification.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

IT'S A MATTER OF STYLE

British English or American English ?
That was one of my first tasks when starting work in Thailand - to decide whether the company should adopt the American or British style of English. Previously there had been examples of both - many in the same publication and quite often even in the same story.
I have chosen American English for Bangkok Station Network - and I think the final deciding factor was learning that Thailand uses the American style of billion and trillion when talking about figures and amounts.
I'm fortunate to have had previous editing experience of American English (while I was with SC Magazine) so it's not a completely new experience. I am well aware there are more than just the obvious COLOR/COLOUR differences.
I am also devloping a Style Guide for the company. Alas I don't think I will ever be able to read Thai so I'm just sticking with an English version for now.

0 comments:

Ask Me Anything ..

.. about the media and publishing industry in Thailand, and I will do my best to assist you. You can email your question to bkkandy AT myway.com.

Add me on Facebook

(c) The Bangkok Bugle 2006 - 2015. Email me at bkkandy AT myway.com for information.