Note: The older content written as part of this blog was relevant at the time but may have since changed. Please don't hesitate to contact me for clarification.

Monday, December 31, 2007

GHOST TOWN

Bangkok feels like a ghost town today. It's a public holiday for most Thai people - as it is tomorrow - so many Bangkokians have left town to go upcountry. (Upcountry is anywhere outside Bangkok).
The shops and roads are very quiet, probably the quietest I have ever seen them, and there seems to be a much larger proportion of foreigners than normal. That's probably down to there before fewer Thais around as well as being high season for tourists. I guess with fewer people around the tourists stand out more.

2 comments:

Unknown 8:57 PM  

I love this weekend in Bangkok. One can actually get around town. With proper infrastructure development, this weekend is the way Bangkok could be every day. But, then, Western nations haven't figured that out either.

Anonymous 11:39 PM  

This is the best time of year to stay in Bangkok, for this exact reason. My commute home on Saturday night was wonderfully brief. Maneuvering the roads of Bangkok sans traffic jams is enough to bring a smile to anyone's face.

Ask Me Anything ..

.. about the media and publishing industry in Thailand, and I will do my best to assist you. You can email your question to bkkandy AT myway.com.

Add me on Facebook

(c) The Bangkok Bugle 2006 - 2015. Email me at bkkandy AT myway.com for information.