Note: The older content written as part of this blog was relevant at the time but may have since changed. Please don't hesitate to contact me for clarification.

Monday, January 28, 2008

TAXI TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS

What is it with me and taxis in Bangkok? On Friday night I somehow managed to flag down what must be one of the capitals oldest vehicles. Both springs and suspension must have disappeared in the 1980s, and this particular cab didn't even have air-con - just a cold air blower. I know you're asking why I opted for such a cab? To be honest they all look the same at night when they're coming towards you at 50 mph.
Saturday morning was another interesting Bangkok taxi experience. This time the driver took a nap - twice. Between my limited Thai and his equally limited English we managed to agree that I would say 'okay' when the traffic started to move. We were actually at one of Bangkok's major intersections where the lights stay red for anything up to five minutes. And he did sleep - his snoring convinced me of that.
Only in Thailand.

0 comments:

Ask Me Anything ..

.. about the media and publishing industry in Thailand, and I will do my best to assist you. You can email your question to bkkandy AT myway.com.

Add me on Facebook

(c) The Bangkok Bugle 2006 - 2015. Email me at bkkandy AT myway.com for information.