Note: The older content written as part of this blog was relevant at the time but may have since changed. Please don't hesitate to contact me for clarification.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

ICONIC IMAGES OF THE FLOODS

Today's front page of The Straits Times in Singapore has what I consider to be one of the most iconic images to emerge so far from the floods which are gripping parts of Bangkok right now.
But as a former press photographer I cannot help feeling this image looks a bit staged. The monk looks like he's been asked to stand in the water - and if you look closer you can see the water doesn't extend all the way to the walls of the Grand Palace. Surely the monk would not need to pass through the water ordinarily? That said, I have no evidence to suggest the situation has been manipulated.
As for the front page headline and associated government advice for Singaporeans to leave Bangkok while the main international airport remains open - it does smack of a certain degree of sensationalism. 
Bangkok and the floods have been dominating the news agenda in Singapore for more than a week now - and that only looks set to continue.

2 comments:

Tom 9:07 PM  

Does it matter if it was staged?

(c) 2016 Written by Andrew Batt 3:58 AM  

Absolutely, in my opinion. It would be the same as a journalist making up quotes for a story. Our duty as journalists (which includes photographers) is to report the truth.

Like I said I have no evidence to support this, however if this image was staged it would also likely breach the ethics code of many publishing companies.

Ask Me Anything ..

.. about the media and publishing industry in Thailand, and I will do my best to assist you. You can email your question to bkkandy AT myway.com.

Add me on Facebook

(c) The Bangkok Bugle 2006 - 2015. Email me at bkkandy AT myway.com for information.