Note: The older content written as part of this blog was relevant at the time but may have since changed. Please don't hesitate to contact me for clarification.

Tuesday, January 05, 2016

A REMARKABLE PIECE OF HISTORY

It's not that often that I get my hands on a 75-year-old publication - but five copies of the 1940s British newspaper/magazine The War Illustrated (right) and now in my hands.
What's more - they came from Chatuchak Weekend Market and cost just THB 200 each - a bargain in my view.
This edition is dated May 24th 1940 and features a "double-page" map of Holland and Belgium in the centrefold. Amazingly it also includes a flyer advertising a 'First World War Encycolpedia" that readers can order. I wonder what would happen if I sent that back now?
The publication is fascinating for history buffs, as well as being extremely interesting for news junkies such as me. There are some fascinating first-hand reports of the war along with some particularly harowing images.
When you consider that the vast majority of current imported European and American magazines cost at least double what I paid for this edition, you can understand how pleased I am to have it in my collection.
Quite how it ended up in Bangkok is anyone's guess?

0 comments:

Ask Me Anything ..

.. about the media and publishing industry in Thailand, and I will do my best to assist you. You can email your question to bkkandy AT myway.com.

Add me on Facebook

(c) The Bangkok Bugle 2006 - 2015. Email me at bkkandy AT myway.com for information.