Note: The older content written as part of this blog was relevant at the time but may have since changed. Please don't hesitate to contact me for clarification.

Friday, January 08, 2016

WHAT'S THE POINT?

Seriously, why?
The November 2015 edition of U.K. magazine Good Food has just arrived on the bookshelves in Bangkok - in the first week of January.
Given this issue is full of Christmas recipes and the like, will anyone other than serious foodies bother to buy it? We still have the December edition to come.
Even the promise of a free 2016 calendar is unlikely to be enough to tempt most buyers to part with THB 375 - slightly more than GBP 7 at a rough exchange.
Perhaps I am being slightly unfair to single out this magazine because it's not the only one from overseas to still have October and November issues on sale. Don't even think about seeing December issues for many imported overseas magazines for another few weeks - especially because of the Christmas delivery rush.

2 comments:

Matthew Hunt 8:44 AM  

I do wonder how many of these imported magazines are actually sold each month, and whether this is a sustainable business model for the distributor. But fortunately the range of titles hasn't diminished much over the past few years. Yes, the cover price is high, but at least they're available here for those who want them.

(c) 2016 Written by Andrew Batt 9:41 AM  

Thanks Matthew,

I think there is a genuine opportunity in this sector - bringing a wider range of global magazines to Thailand much faster. Remember this issue will have been printed in early October so there's no excuse for it arriving this week.

People like you and I keep the current model sustainable but there is a big opportunity for something new - in my view.

And to answer your first question, my informed estimate would be an average of 30% of the copies that make it onto the shelves.

Andrew.

Ask Me Anything ..

.. about the media and publishing industry in Thailand, and I will do my best to assist you. You can email your question to bkkandy AT myway.com.

Add me on Facebook

(c) The Bangkok Bugle 2006 - 2015. Email me at bkkandy AT myway.com for information.