Note: The older content written as part of this blog was relevant at the time but may have since changed. Please don't hesitate to contact me for clarification.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

UNCERTAINTY OR FLEXIBILITY ?

I am constantly amazed at how very different the media and workplace is in Thailand compared to my experiences in the UK.
Take our new magazine for example, which is a little over four weeks from its first deadline. In the UK the cover story would be something that comes together pretty close to deadline, and would certainly not be made public in advance of publication. In Thailand, the fact I am unable (for contractual reasons) to tell anyone about the cover story is considered a sign of uncertainty because all other magazine give advance notice to advertisers of what will be in their forthcoming editions. For the right price you can even 'buy' the cover splash on most magazines.
Trying to explain what I consider to be an advantage to our marketing and sales staff is proving really hard. They expect our magazine to be like the existing titles when, in truth, it is so very different in many ways.

0 comments:

Ask Me Anything ..

.. about the media and publishing industry in Thailand, and I will do my best to assist you. You can email your question to bkkandy AT myway.com.

Add me on Facebook

(c) The Bangkok Bugle 2006 - 2015. Email me at bkkandy AT myway.com for information.