Note: The older content written as part of this blog was relevant at the time but may have since changed. Please don't hesitate to contact me for clarification.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

WHAT NEXT FOR THAKSIN ?

Thaksin Shinawatra, the ousted Prime Minister of Thailand, has been ordered to return to Thailand by the end of this month or face an arrest warrant being issued for allegedly concealing ownership of millions of dollars worth of shares from the Thai Stock Exchange.
This is a gamble, in my opinion, by the ruling military junta because just a few weeks ago their message to him was pretty much 'don't come back'. Having Thaksin back in Thailand might trigger further political instability. And where does this leave his current deal to buy Manchester City Football Club? My bet is that deal will collapse because City will deem the deal too risky. What happens if their owner is being potentially being tried in a foreign country and could face jail? A big 'if' I know, but lots will happen in the next few weeks.

0 comments:

Ask Me Anything ..

.. about the media and publishing industry in Thailand, and I will do my best to assist you. You can email your question to bkkandy AT myway.com.

Add me on Facebook

(c) The Bangkok Bugle 2006 - 2015. Email me at bkkandy AT myway.com for information.