Note: The older content written as part of this blog was relevant at the time but may have since changed. Please don't hesitate to contact me for clarification.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

AN EVENING WITH THAILAND'S NEXT PM?

Last night the Foreign Corespondents' Club of Thailand hosted an evening with Abhisit Vejjajiva, the leader of the Democracy Party and some that arguably stands a good chance of being the next Prime Minister here.
Spending several hours with a large audience of people who, generally speaking, do not have the right to vote in Sunday's election, shows just how keen Abhisit is to restore confidence in Thailand's image overseas. He talked about an ambitious 99-day plan that would be enacted if his party comes to power and would likely see some big changes quite quickly.
Abhisit is 43-years-old, was born in Newcastle-upon-Tyne and spent part of his education at Eton and Oxford. Unsurprisingly he spoke perfect English and I'm sure those in the audience were, like me, impressed with his visions for the future. And I'm not just saying that because of his UK connections.
Thailand faces a crucial decision this coming weekend. As Abhisit said it's very much a choice between a new vision for the future or the same old style of Thai politics of the past. My only hope is that the election is free from claims of corruption (sadly these are already surfacing) and moves the country forward.

0 comments:

Ask Me Anything ..

.. about the media and publishing industry in Thailand, and I will do my best to assist you. You can email your question to bkkandy AT myway.com.

Add me on Facebook

(c) The Bangkok Bugle 2006 - 2015. Email me at bkkandy AT myway.com for information.